Watercress contains significant amounts of iron, calcium and folic acid, in addition to vitamins A and C.
Many benefits from eating watercress are claimed, such as that it acts as a stimulant, a source of phytochemicals and antioxidants, a diuretic, an expectorant, and a digestive aid. It also appears to have cancer-suppressing properties; It is widely believed to help defend against lung cancer. Due to its high iodine content, watercress has a strengthening effect on the thyroid gland , thus beneficial for suffers of hypothyroidism.
I Tried Chutney with watercress it came out good.
- Watercress one bunch.
- Pearl onion 10 peeled
- Red chillies 4 -5(according to ur taste)
- Urad dhal 2 tsp.
- Garlic 1 pod.
- Grated coconut 3 Tsp.
- Lemon one small marbel size.
- Mustard seeds,Urad dhall for seasoning.
- Hing powder one pinch.
- Oil 2 tsp
- Curry leaves 5.
- Wash and clean Watercress and keep aside.
- In a pan fry urad dhal with out oil til it turns light brown color keep aside.
- In same pan add tsp oil and add red chillies and fry till color changes take from pan keep aside.
- Now add garlic and onion and fry both turn light brown color
- Add watercress and saute till it losses water may be 3 min.
- Add grated coconut fry for 1 min.
- Let all this fried items cool to room temp.
- Grind urad dhal,Red chillies,Onion and watercress mixture,Tamarind pulp(or water from that)Salt.
- Now for seasoning in a pan heat 1 tsp oil and add Mustard seeds,urad dhal after mustard seed splutters, Add red chillies 1-2 ,add pinch of hing powder,Curry leaves.
- Transfer this seasoning to chutney.
Serve with idly Dosa .Can also have with rice.
Making Idly batter
Soak 4 cups of Idly rice Seperately. for 6 hrs
Soak 1 cup of urad dhal(if splitted) or 3/4 cup if whole(not splitted) with 1 tsp of methi seeds. for 6 hrs
Grind urad dhal and methi seeds until fluffy.
Then Grind Rice and mix rice batter and urad dhal batter in a big vessel with salt mix well with fingers .
Keep for fermenting in oven surface light on for 10 hrs.
If you are in warm weather you can keep outside the oven.
Grease idly plate with oil.
Mix batter well and check for salt.
Now pour batter on idly vessel and steam for 10 min.
Now your sppongy idlies are ready to eat with chutney or sambar.